Tuesday, 13 January 2009

Call of Duty World at War, more of the same


OK since I bought Call of Duty 4 modern warfare 5 months ago I haven't put it down, seriously it's actually ruined gaming for me to the extent that my other PS3 games are now expensive doorstops, well I say expensive most of them are second hand from amazon but my point remains. So, naturally the impending release of COD 5 was something a moderate earner could get excited about. Initially I had my doubts when I heard that the game was going back to a WW11 format, I think I've played so many WW11 two games I officially qualify for a purple heart. There were also concerns around the fact that infinity ward weren't producing it but I was prepared to look past this as generally speaking, the COD series has been consistently impressive (even though infinity ward produced three of the five in the series).

Before I had a chance to play the game I made sure that I read other reviews as this is the smart thing to do and is the main reason people like me spend their spare time writing these things. Reviews of the game were good; noticeably the continuation of the cinematic style in previous titles, the introduction of coop mode and how realistic the graphics are, stuck out.

Now I read a lot of reviews and I know that on the big sites like gamespot and IGN they sometimes over hype a game because its the in thing to do and I take it into account when making my purchase decision. However on this occasion I think there's been a mistake.
The opening scene you are a prisoner in a Japanese camp being tortured for information, you are subjected to watch your fellow allied soldier have his throat slit for bravely refusing to talk. The Japanese soldier then walks over to repeat the same process on you, but is thawrted by a Jack Bauer voiced marine. This happens three or four times throughout the first 5 levels and it begins to bore, verging on the ridiculous. This is one of many tid bits which raise an eyebrow to the £50 price tag and here's a few more.

Coop mode is not split screen, it's two small square boxes with the rest of the screen a nice burgundy background. I can see what they tried here but it didn't work...at all. I didn't trawl through the Tesco direct catalogue for hours looking for a good priced 32 inch HDTV, wait for it to be delivered and for it not to arrive, have to spend an hour on the phone to customer services only to tell me that particular one is out of stock and I will need to make another purchase, just so I can loose 6 inches of fucking screen! There also seems to be a number of graphical problems, the classic walking through walls disorder is back (Goldeneye 64) and the AI is lacking in, well, AI. No matter how well you sneak up on an enemy he will see you, even if it's his birthday and he's blindfolded playing pin the tail on the deformed Hiroshima victim he will still see you and throw an incredibly accurate grenade.

However despite my criticisms the game does have some redeeming features like the multiplayer, they have stayed with the COD4 point system and incorporated a few new features like the addition of usable tanks and brand new perks. The actual multiplayer feels a lot easier to play than its predecessor and it has a "rookie" lobby for people under level 5 thus levelling the playing fields, literally. They smartly managed to compensate for the lack of UAV, Air strikes and Helicopter support with spy plane recon (said with a Jamaican accent when playing as the ruskies) artillery and dogs, all a welcome change.

Overall COD5 isn't a bad game, just not as good as COD4 and the concept is boring, done to death. It wont get game of the year but you'll have fun blasting a few japs, I just hope this is the last time I'll be using the wholly inaccurate M1 Grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment